Home » Baja Directory » Baja Driving Information » U.S. Entry Requirements


United States BorderComming Back to the United States - United Stated Border and Customs

All persons including citizens of the United States traveling by land between the U.S., Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda are required to present a passport, Merchant Mariner Document (presented by U.S. citizen merchant mariners traveling on official business) or NEXUS Card (NEXUS enrollment is limited to citizens of the United States and Canada, and lawful permanent residents of the United States and Canada). Children will be required to present their own passport.

  • Generally, a valid unexpired passport and visa. (However, certain people may require specific supporting documentation such as an employment petition, student authorization, or approval notice.)
  • Citizens of countries authorized to participate in the Visa Waiver Program are required to present an unexpired machine-readable passport. (For additional information refer to the State Department. ( U.S. Department of State )
  • Mexicans may provide a passport and valid DSP-150 (BCC) in lieu of a visa.
  • Canadians flying to, or through the United States are required to have a valid passport or a NEXUS card, when used at a NEXUS kiosk at designated airports.
  • Nationals of countries authorized to participate in the Visa Waiver Program are required to present an unexpired passport.

What Items Must Get Declared When entering the United States from Mexico

When you return, you will need to declare everything you brought back that you did not take with you when you left the United States. What You Must Declare:

  • Items you purchased and are carrying with you upon return to the United States.
  • Items you received as gifts, such as wedding or birthday presents.
  • Items you inherited.
  • Items you bought in duty-free shops, on the ship, or on the plane.
  • Repairs or alterations to any items you took abroad and then brought back, even if the repairs/alterations were performed free of charge.
  • Items you brought home for someone else.
  • Items you intend to sell or use in your business.

Restricted ItemsRemember: Even if you used the item you bought on your trip, it’s still dutiable. You must declare the item at the price you paid or, if it was a gift, at its fair market value.

Before you leave for your trip abroad, you might want to view a list of restricted Items. Prohibited means the item is forbidden by law to enter the United States.


Baja California Wineries

Ensenada and Baja California Wineries

Baja California offers amazing wineries with tastings offerd daily. Get complete Ensenada wine information


Mexico Auto Insurance

Mexico Insurance

Get a FREE quote and print your Mexico Auto Insurance policy in minutes, completely eliminating the hassle of stopping at the border.


Baja Surfing

Baja Surfing

Baja Surfing offers good surf and fun times. Get up to date swell and surf conditions for surf breaks in Baja California.